Are you getting ready to sell your property? The process involves more than just placing a “For Sale” sign on your lawn or window. Especially since the property buying season begins to pick up as the weather gets warmer, you’ll want to be prepared to attract the best offers.
Get to know the market condition of your area. In San Diego, property prices are predicted to continue to rise in 2022 and with inventory currently low, you’ll have a good chance of making a quick sale. Before you list your house on the market, complete these five things to prepare.
1. Hire a Property Inspector
Yes, it’s the buyers responsibility to request a home inspection before entering into negotiations. However, you can prevent any unpleasant surprises that might turn a buyer away by doing this before you list your property on the market. Repairs can take weeks to fix, so being proactive ensures that your property is in the best condition to sell quickly.
Knowing your property’s condition can also help with the negotiation phase. You could prevent buyers from asking you to drop the list price because of various issues they find during their inspection.
2. Make Small Upgrades and Repairs
After your home inspection, you can get started on making the necessary repairs to bring your property to top condition. Additionally, making small upgrades can also increase the value of your property and attract potential buyers. Whether you are selling a home or commercial property, think about the things buyers are looking for in a similar space. For example:
- Make landscaping renovations for better curb appeal
- Brighten up the wall colors, so rooms don’t look dark or cramped
- Upgrade bathroom or kitchen fixtures
3. Hire a Real Estate Agent
Hiring a real estate agent to help with the sale of your property comes with plenty of benefits to get you the best offer available. They are especially important during the negotiation process, including offering expert advice on proceeding when offers are being made. You’ll know they have your best interests in mind and the skills to get you the best price.
A real estate agent will also help:
- Research the market to help you decide on the best price to sell
- Facilitate the property appraisal process with licensed professionals
- Develop marketing materials, such as getting professional photos taken of your property
- Advertise your listing to attract potential buyers
- Complete required paperwork for signing and closing
4. Stage Your Property to Sell
Whether in-person or through online photos, first impressions matter. You want the buyer to be able to imagine living in your property or setting it up as their new workplace. Property staging lets you highlight the best features of your property so your listing can shine.
Things to consider doing when home staging include:
- Clear up any clutter and personal belongings to a storage unit so potential buyers can envision their things in the space
- Deep clean your property to get rid of dust, grime, and anything that could turn a buyer off
- Show as much natural light as possible or add lighting fixtures to brighten up the rooms
- Add simple accent pieces, such as flowers or a bowl of fruit, to bring the space together
5. Have a Backup Plan
Not every property sells quickly or in the exact timeframe you desire. While you should hope for the best, it’s better also to be prepared for any scenario that might arise. When deciding with your real estate agent the timeline and plan of action for selling your property, add in some backup plans.
Make sure your budget can support an extended period and you aren’t relying on a quick sale to cover your financial needs. You can also discuss backup strategies with your real estate agent on how to attract potential buyers. This may include deciding on a minimum price you may consider lowering your sale price.
Preparing to sell and negotiating a good price for your property is easier with professional help. At the Zion Group, our team of experienced professionals will make the time to listen, plan, and execute your vision for your real estate selling goals. Schedule a free consultation with us today.
– The Zion Team
Phone: (858) 324-1951 | To schedule a meeting or call, click here.